Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Best Movies of 2007

Due to popular request, I have re-posted my end-of-the-year summary for 2007. Rest assured, I haven’t changed any of my judgments. It’s just that I’ve been asked to list my top 10, those I rated as “Excellent,” and those I rated as “Rental.”

Here again, my wife and I were in the hospital all through December, so unfortunately, my assessment of 2007 is admittedly incomplete and will have to go without considering any December releases.

The best picture of 2007 was “Gone Baby Gone,” but “In the Valley of Elah” was the most moving to me. The first eight movies listed below are must-sees.

The Top 10 of 2007

1. In the Valley of Elah
2. Gone Baby Gone
3. Lars and the Real Girl
4. 3:10 to Yuma
5. No Country for Old Men
6. The Kingdom
7. Rescue Dawn
8. Sunshine
9. Into the Wild
10. Resurrecting the Champ


Movies I rated as “Excellent” (definitely worth renting):
Transformers
Eastern Promises
Live Free or Die Hard
Michael Clayton
Dan in Real Life
Once
Enchanted
Stardust
Becoming Jane
Evan Almighty
The Simpsons Movie
28 Weeks Later
Disturbia
The Invasion
Amazing Grace
Lions for Lambs
Things We Lost in the Fire
Mr. Brooks
The Brave One
Surf’s Up
Ratatouille
Across the Universe


Movies I rated as “Rental” (also worth renting, but look for those listed above first):
American Gangster
30 Days of Night
Next
The Bourne Ultimatum
Spider-Man 3
Ocean’s Thirteen
Freedom Writers
Shooter
Martian Child
We Own the Night
Rendition
Lucky You
Fracture
Georgia Rule
Shrek the Third
Breach
Waitress
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Rush Hour 3
The Darjeeling Limited
Elizabeth: The Golden Age
The Astronaut Farmer
Brooklyn Rules
Hot Fuzz
Zodiac
No Reservations

Note: The worst movie of 2007 was “Delta Farce.” Avoid it at all costs.

No comments: