Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Transformers (2007)

Overall rating from 1 to 100: 94

O Masterpiece (95-100)
X Excellent (75-94)
O Good video rental (60-74)
O Merely OK (50-59)
O Pure mediocrity (30-49)
O Medusa: don't watch (1-29)

Review by Jason Pyles / July 3, 2007

As I was leaving my film class yesterday, my professor and I were ridiculing the way people clap and cheer during and after movies here in Utah theaters. But I must confess that last night, while watching Michael Bay’s live-action “Transformers,” I clapped and cheered and squealed like it was my birthday. (Coincidentally, it actually was my birthday.)

I haven’t been this dazzled by a movie since “King Kong” (2005), which brought me to tears, not from the sad storyline but from experiencing sheer delight from modern cinema. And like “King Kong,” much to my chagrin, “Transformers” will have its fierce critics. But to me, this blockbuster is just shy of being a masterpiece. (Even Roger Ebert gave it three stars, and he noted that it would have been four if the big battle sequence didn’t rage on so long.) I personally have no complaints about seeing Autobots and Decepticons warring ferociously on the big screen.

But let’s get some things straight: “Transformers” is a summer popcorn movie. It’s also based on line of robot toys from the ‘80s made by Hasbro. It is an action-packed, special effects, sci-fi fantasy. OK? So, don’t confuse my zeal with a claim that this is a life-changing movie. That being said, “Transformers” is an in-the-theater must-see and clearly, the movie of the summer.

No spoilers will follow, just a bare-bones premise summary: An alien “race” of two feuding robotic clans from a planet called Cybertron seeks a powerful cube (not Rubik’s) that has come to Earth. I know it doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, it’s enough.

The robot beings are gigantic in relation to humans, and they have the ability to shape-shift and disguise themselves as everyday machinery, such as cars, planes, choppers, etc. The benevolent Autobots are compassionate toward humans, and the malevolent Decepticons are ruthlessly vicious with earthlings.

Of course, the movie is replete with CGI shots, and even in close-ups, the Transformers look real. This isn’t “Pete’s Dragon” (1977) mind you; it looks like these actors are truly having a close encounter with towering robots.

The secret weapon to “Transformers” is its humor: There was dialogue that I missed because of the audience’s laughing. This movie is hilarious to the point that it’s almost a comedy. But I’m not talking about stupid comedy, like in “Independence Day” (1996), when the drunken pilot flies his jet into the opening in the bottom of the alien ship and yells, “Up Yours!” Nor am I speaking of bodily function joke after bodily function joke. I’m talking about clever, witty banter with tons of in-jokes for the fanboys (and gals) and dialogue that tickles the modern young person’s funny bone.

And I love Shia LaBeouf like a brother. He is absolutely on fire this year! I have enjoyed everything I’ve seen (or heard) him in: “Disturbia,” “Surf’s Up” and now “Transformers.” He returns with his same, cool, fast-talkin’, smart-alec disposition that he has in “Disturbia.” LaBeouf delivers 90 percent of the hilariousness of this movie. I used to lament his casting in next summer’s “Indiana Jones” movie, but now, his presence in that movie is almost as important to me as Harrison Ford’s.

Rest assured though, the plentiful humor doesn’t detract from the movie; it only enhances it. Because of the underlying silliness, those occasional groaner lines or cheesy action-movie peculiarities are OK with us. And this isn’t like “Spider-Man 3,” either, where we get the feeling that the filmmakers are just goofing off and slaphappy.

Basically, “Transformers” is excellent, and I highly recommend it. I rarely have time (or the desire) to see movies more than once, but I will probably return to the theater again for this one and own the DVD. Delights abound, especially if you were a male child of the late ‘70s and ‘80s.

Every year, on my birthday, I treat myself to what I call “my birthday movie.” Well, happy birthday to me, because “Transformers” was my best birthday movie ever.

Directed by Michael Bay
Shia LaBeouf / Jon Voight / John Turturro
144 min. Action / Sci-fi
MPAA: PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi action violence, brief sexual humor, and language)

Copyright 2007.
JP0145 : 665

No comments: