Friday, May 11, 2007

28 Weeks Later (2007)

Overall rating from 1 to 100: 81

O Masterpiece (95-100)
X Excellent (75-94)
O Good video rental (60-73)
O Merely OK (50-59)
O Pure mediocrity (30-49)
O Medusa: don’t watch (1-29)

Review by Jason Pyles / May 11, 2007

The mark of excellence that crowns “28 Days Later” (2002) and its worthy sequel, “28 Weeks Later,” is that both films contain a horror story within a horror story. The zombie infestation is always secondary to the real nightmare; and in this sequel, this occurs in the beginning of the movie.

Does one have to see the first movie to enjoy this second one? One should, but it’s not absolutely necessary. You could also read my review of the first flick. But I’ll summarize it in one sentence: A virus called “Rage” breaks out in London that causes its victims to flip completely out and bite non-infected victims, which infects them and almost immediately transforms the newly bitten into zombie maniacs who bite, too. That sounds kind of funny, but this is no comedy.

“Twenty-eight Weeks Later” begins amid the height of the initial breakout depicted in the first movie. These opening scenes are where a truly unforgettable nightmare occurs. About 28 weeks later, the infected have died of starvation and the United States has a strong military occupation in London. The mission is containment, cleanup and beginning again. Strict measures of quarantine are observed. Nevertheless, a Rage infestation begins anew; and the way in which this occurs approaches brilliance.

I remain vague in this plot summary because part of the movie’s horror comes from the realizations that you experience as it unfolds. I wouldn’t dream of spoiling that for you. I will say that this plot centers around two children and not Cillian Murphy. (For better or for worse, he’s not in this movie. Sorry.) I typically recoil away from serious movies (particularly horror flicks) that center on kids, but “28 Weeks Later” works.

I don’t have a weak stomach, but one scene in this movie literally nauseated me. No, I wouldn’t call this a popcorn movie. I hardly ever get scared watching movies, but I can call “28 Weeks Later” scary and still feel like a man. It has unthinkable scenario after intolerable predicament. I’m so thankful for my “normal” life.

There’s so much more I’d like to describe, such as the franchise’s apparent feelings toward military, but I’ll restrain myself and leave it at this: “28 Weeks Later” has a scene with a helicopter that will go down in movie history. This is an excellent, supremely disgusting horror film, and I recommend it if that’s your thing.

Directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo
Mackintosh Muggleton / Imogen Poots / Robert Carlyle
99 min. Horror / Thriller
MPAA: R (for strong violence and gore, language and some sexuality/nudity)

Copyright 2007.
JP0105 : 400

No comments: